Saturday, April 24, 2010
Basmati Rice- 2 cups
Bay leaves - 1no
Cinnamon sticks - 4no
Cloves - 6no
Cardamom - 4no
Star anise - 4pieces
Ghee - 3tbsp
Salt- to taste
Marinating Chicken - atleast 1hr
Chicken, bone in- 12 pieces
Ginger-Garlic paste- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder- 2 tsp
Garam Masala- 1 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1tsp
Coriander powder - 1tsp
Pepper powder - 1tsp
Lemon juice- 2 tsp
Salt - To taste
1. Wash and soak the Rice for a minimum 1/2 hour.
2. In a pan, bring 8 cups of water to boil. Once boiling, add cloves(3),cinnamon sticks(1),star anise(1),Bay Leaves(1),Salt and Oil (1tsp).
3. In a separate bowl, mix Saffron and Water (1tbsp), keep aside and allow it to soak.Add the washed Rice to boiling water. Once the Water starts boiling again, time and cook for 5 minutes (the Rice needs to be 3/4 way done). Drain the water from the Rice and keep aside.
4. Heat a pan on high ,add Oil(5tbsp) once hot add the marinated chicken pieces and fry them ,and keep aside.
5. Heat a pan on medium heat, add in the Oil and the Clarified Butter(ghee). Once hot, add in the balance of whole spices – Cinnaraw smell goes off.Now add mint leaves ,coriander leaves fry for couple of mins .
6.Add the finely chopped onions,fry till transculate,add salt,green chilli and now fry till onions turn light brown color,then add the ginger garlic paste and till it leaves it raw smell.
7.Add the coriander powder,chilli powder and mix well,add little water and cook for 5min. now add the fried chicken pieces. cook for 2min then turn off the heat.
8.Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit .Coat an oven-proof dish with a little oil.
9.Start by layering the Chicken at the bottom of the dish along with a few pieces of fried onions (saving the gravy for top layer).
10.Fluff up the Rice and add a layer of it on top of the Chicken with half of the Rice.Layer the balance of the fried onions and all the gravy on the rice layer.
11.Next spread the balance of the Rice..Drizzle a little bit of ghee(1/2tsp),milk(3 tsp).
Cover with an air-tight lid or a foil and bake for 45min.Once out of the oven, take a ladle and mix it gently but well.
1. If u dont have oven , cook in rice cooker
a. follow 1 - 7 and 9-11 steps ,add in the rice(cooked) and curry to rice cooker
b. count chicken gravy as a measurement of rice water and add the remaining water
2. Chicken with bones works best for this recipe, but if you prefer boneless, then you will need to cook the chicken a little less.
3. Fresh Mint is sometimes not easily available. Substitute for dried, crushed Mint, available at Indian grocery stores.
4. You can also add in full boiled eggs along with the gravy…looks good and tastes very good.